In this post, you will be able to learn about Chat GPT for lawyers and how lawyers can use Chat GPT in their daily endeavors.
First things first, what is Chat GPT?
One of the recent developments of Artificial Intelligence tools developed by OpenAI Company, Chat GPT is a Chat Bot specifically designed to generate human-like text having learned patterns and nuances of the human language, making it able to perform different language-based tasks such as creating documents and converse like a human.
You can access it through their free plan, or upgrade to their beta plan which costs 20 USD a month.
If you are running on a low budget and unable to access complex and expensive legal software and tools, then stick with me.
How to operate Chat GPT
Visit OpenAI’s Chat GPT where you will be directed to the login or registration page where you can easily register through your Google account.
After registering and logging in, click the New Chat button and command Chat GPT to do whatever you wish.
Can Chat GPT pass the bar exam?
Yes, Chat GPT can and did recently pass a law/bar exam issued by the Minnesota University Law School, scoring a C+ grade, on the same test faced by law students, consisting of 95 Multiple Choice questions, and 12 Essay Type Questions .
Benefits of using Chat GPT for lawyers include;
- Saves Time and Effort: Chat GPT can automate repetitive procedures and save lawyers time and effort.
- Increased Accuracy and Efficiency: Chat GPT can help with the accurate creation of legal documents and spot potential errors.
- Increased Profit: Client satisfaction will be maintained quickly thanks to efficiency and accuracy, which will encourage repeat business.
How to use Chat GPT as a lawyer
- Create drafts of legal documents and correspondences.
- Conduct legal research easily.
- Conduct legal analysis.
- Analyze, rephrase, and interpret legal documents, case laws, etc.
- Translate legal documents from and into different languages.
- Create and edit legal content.
After using Chat GPT for more than 24 hours to complete various legal tasks, we discovered that it was capable of the following.
1. WITH CHAT GPT LAWYERS CAN EASILY CREATE DRAFTS OF LEGAL DOCUMENTS AND CORRESPONDENCES.
Depending on the complexity of the document, Chat GPT can generate well-written and properly formatted drafts of varied legal documents and correspondences within seconds and in different major languages such as Spanish, French, German, etc.
Chat GPT prompt for lawyers – drafting contract/agreement.
We commanded Chat GPT to “Write a short Non-Disclosure Agreement Draft for Miss Barbara Martinez who will perform as a stripper at a yacht party hosted by the Hoodboyz fraternity” as seen in the picture below. It came up with an accurate and creative draft that needs very few modifications.
Chat GPT prompt for lawyers – Draft a Demand Letter and a Reply to a Demand Letter.
As seen below we prompted Chat GPT to “Draft a Demand Letter to Giacomo Bonano to pay Marco Destro 1000 USD within 14 days”
The result is awe-inspiring as seen below.
And the Reply to the Demand Notice,
But Counsel, I practice in Mexico and we don’t use English, how does it help me?
Well, if you are a lawyer who practices in other major languages apart from English Chat GPT has got your back too. You can prompt Chat GPT to create drafts of different legal documents in your language of practice.
Let’s imagine you practice in a Spanish-speaking jurisdiction or the other party only talks or speaks Spanish, see a Demand Letter draft in Spanish below.
We prompted Chat GPT to Draft a Cease and Desist Letter.
This is now becoming very addictive, we couldn’t stop once we started commanding Chat GPT to do these legal tasks, in this we told the bot to “Write a cease and desist letter on behalf of our client Michelle to Ms. Melania Lincoln, a neighbor to stop harassing her dog Donnie” and Voila!
Chat GPT prompt for lawyers – Draft a legal correspondence email.
First, we needed an Email to the Opposing counsel in a case we are handling so Chat GPT was told to “Write an email to the Opposing Counsel Mr. Vladimir Santos informing him that our client is ready for negotiations and propose a Zoom meeting on January 20th at 15:00 PM” and it did as follows.
Tada! A full detailed Email is ready to be sent.
Tasks that, even with ready-made templates would still take you some minutes would be accomplished within seconds as seen above.
Can Chat GPT write legal documents?
Yes, you can use Chat GPT for legal documents, as seen in the examples above, however, do not just copy and paste it, you will end up with unedited Chat GPT legal documents not having a lawyer’s touch.
Read our guide on how to use Chat GPT for legal documents here.
2. WITH CHAT GPT LAWYERS CAN DO LEGAL RESEARCH MORE EASILY AND QUICKER THAN BEFORE.
If you go to search on Google for any legal information, you will have to go through different search results and click on the one you think answers what you are looking for.
But you are most likely to be met with an article of not less than 500 words, and you will have to read/search through it for your answers.
Sometimes you might have to go through more than 3 articles to find your answer, or in the worst case scenario not find it at all.
Chat GPT does away with all that hassle, by going straight to your answer thanks to its incredible memory derived from its 175 billion parameters giving it the ability to process billions of words in seconds.
Without a doubt, Chat GPT is the best AI for legal research for lawyers.
With Chat GPT lawyers can easily research relevant case law and relevant statutes to support legal arguments.
Let’s imagine you are writing a Written Submission on Occupier’s Liability for a case in the United States, Chat GPT will give you a quick answer if prompted to “Explain in 3 sentences each, two US cases on occupier’s liability” as seen below.
Look how it responded when asked to “Outline and shortly explain two Common Law cases on Tenant’s liability” and came up with this.
Not limited to the US and UK law reports only, Chat GPT can help lawyers research caselaw from everywhere in the legal universe, like this one a trademark case from Tanzania.
With Chat GPT lawyers can get answers to common legal questions quickly and immediately.
Ask any lawyer out there, when we need to find out something we need to get it ASAP.
Do you want to know the limitation of time to file an insurance claim in Nevada quickly? Chat GPT’s got your back, within a second after you ask it there is your answer.
No need to go through statutes or scroll through articles on Google search results.
See how quickly you can get a list of all Misdemeanors in Michigan without any fuss.
3. CHAT GPT CAN ANALYZE, REPHRASE AND INTERPRET LAWS, CASELAW, AND LEGAL DOCUMENTS.
No more unnecessary confusion for lawyers.
With Chat GPT’s ability to rephrase and interpret words, lawyers can utilize the bot to analyze, interpret and rewrite complex legal documents into a layman’s language as seen below where we prompted Chat GPT to “Explain the 2nd amendment to the USA Constitution to a layman, in 2 paragraphs.”
4. CHAT GPT CAN TRANSLATE LEGAL DOCUMENTS FROM AND INTO VARIOUS LANGUAGES.
No need for the less accurate Google Translate, or expensive translating software anymore.
With Chat GPT, you can freely and accurately translate legal documents/texts into the language you want.
Copy your legal text into Chat GPT and command it to translate into any language of your choice, sit back and let it work its magic.
5. WITH CHAT GPT LEGAL CONTENT WRITERS CAN EASILY CREATE/WRITE AND EDIT LEGAL CONTENT.
For legal content writers, copywriters, bloggers, and freelancers, Chat GPT has come at the best possible time.
From researching and brainstorming ideas to planning and outlining topics, Chat GPT is a real cheat code.
For legal bloggers, and book writers Chat GPT helps us greatly in generating blog post ideas and topic clusters, saving us a massive amount of time and effort.
Chat GPT Prompts For Lawyers
Here you can see sample prompts for lawyers to use Chat GPT in different scenarios of your liking.
Chat GPT Prompts For Lawyers-Legal Research
- Explain in 5 sentences each [legal principle]
- Find me relevant cases on the [input principle or scenario] in [input jurisdiction]
- What are the current statutes and regulations governing [insert legal scenario/issue] in [input jurisdiction]
- What are the key legal arguments in favor/against my client in [legal case/issue]
- What is the statute of limitations for [input principle or scenario] in [input jurisdiction]
- Give me a list of federal statutes relating to environmental law.
- Find me a law review article on the use of hearsay in criminal trials.
- What is the standard for determining the admissibility of expert testimony in federal court?
- What are the ethical considerations that apply to this situation? [insert scenario/legal issue]
Chat GPT Prompts For Lawyers-Legal Analysis
- Can you provide me with an analysis of the potential damages in this case? [insert legal scenario/issue]
- What is the legal standard for proving negligence in this context? [insert legal scenario/issue and jurisdiction if possible]
- Can you analyze this [legal issue] from the perspective of a different jurisdiction? [insert jurisdiction]
- What are the potential liability issues associated with this contract? [insert type of contract]
- What is the best course of action(s) for this situation [insert legal scenario/issue]?
- What is the weakness of my client’s case in [insert legal scenario/issue]?
- What is the strength of my client’s case in [insert legal scenario/issue]?
- What is the likelihood of [legal outcome] in [insert legal scenario/issue]
Chat GPT Prompts For Lawyers-Legal Documents
- Draft a [legal document type] for [insert legal scenario], which must conform with [ insert jurisdiction]
- Review this document [legal document type] + [paste legal document/text] and highlight any mistakes.
- Summarize this document [legal document type] + [paste legal document/text] in two paragraphs.
- Interpret this document [legal document type] + [paste legal document/text] into [insert language]
- Rewrite/rephrase this document [legal document type] + [paste legal document/text] to make it more [legal/convincing/friendly/]
Challenges Chat GPT To Lawyers
- Chat GPT database can only read information up to the year 2021; meaning legal information and events from 2021 to date are missing, hence GPT can not give an accurate answer in case a law or legal situation has changed after 2021.
- Chat GPT may occasionally generate incorrect information and make errors; as we know for any bot/machine there will always be an error somewhere due to various reasons.
- Chat GPT lacks human touch; a machine will always remain a machine without feelings/emotions and real human life experiences, something which we sometimes depend on in our legal practice to make decisions, etc.
EMBRACING ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN THE LEGAL INDUSTRY WITH THE “HUMAN TOUCH”.
Lawyers everywhere must be ready to collaborate with AI technology as it will enable them to complete both straightforward and difficult legal jobs, boost revenue, and free up valuable time.
In as much as we may get addicted to AI technology and automation in the legal industry, we can’t let AI run everything, without human supervision, unless we are ready to be branded as AI-dominated lawyers.
Embracing AI in the legal industry will include giving it the “Human Touch” which will ensure the following;
- Personalization; AI may not always be able to tailor its interactions in the same way that a human can. A human touch can assist customize the experience to the user’s particular needs and preferences.
- Empathy; Since AI systems cannot feel emotions, they might not be able to show the same compassion and understanding that people do, a human touch can serve to convey this empathy
- Creativity; where AI may not be as adept at coming up with original solutions to issues, a human touch can be helpful in generating new thoughts and perspectives.
Chat GPT is here to stay; hopefully, this guide will help you master the AI tool to your advantage.
Once you get started you will see the infinite ways you can utilize it as a lawyer depending on your needs at a given time.
It is high time for lawyers to embrace the new developments in AI technology and engage it to maximize their practice.
However, if you do not want to be labeled as a “Chat GPT Lawyer”, it is advisable to use the AI tool only as an aide to your profession.